Thursday, February 7, 2008

What to say?

This morning, after putting Aaron down for his morning nap at 8am I called a guy who had e-mailed me about the possibility of doing some contract work for their company.

I'm currently doing some contract work for a large software company, let's call them Acme. The guy I talked to this morning is a client of theirs and had gotten my contact details from them as someone who may be able to do some customization of Acme's software, of which they own many seats. As we were discussing some details, the gentleman I'm talking to says that if I end up doing some work for them, "We'll want to fly you out to our office so you can meet with some of our staff."

Well, I work from home with part-time childcare while my husband works full time. Travel would be really difficult, so I'm debating what to say. Should I just wait to explain this until we are further along? Will he think less of me knowing I work from home and have a baby here?

In the end, I decided to be up front about it. I told him we could discuss that later, but that it might be difficult for me and explained my work situation. He was completely understanding! He immediately said that someone could probably meet me out here since they do work all over the country. He must have kids because he was so nice about it.

We are going to talk more in a few weeks. I couldn't do anything for them anyway until I finish up the contract job for Acme. Which I better get back to now.

No comments: