Thursday, July 16, 2009

Recovering a Business Contact Manager database

The biggest headache I've had this week has been trying to restore my BCM database to my desktop. I hadn't backed it up recently, but the .mdf and .ldf files for it were recovered from my old disk drive. I thought it would be easy enough, but I was wrong.

Just trying to replace a new BCM database on the desktop with the old files didn't work. I tried so many things, including changing my login name to match my old computer. Then changing my computer name to match the old computer. Nothing was working.

Finally, I followed directions I found here for restoring the database, and after messing around with file permissions for what seemed like ages, I finally got the script to work without giving me an Error 5 Access Denied message. But then it still wasn't showing up in Outlook when I tried to configure BCM. Eventually I read something about starting Outlook as an Administrator, and then the database showed up! I selected it and there was all my data. So far so good. But when I tried to share the database for access from another computer where my niece does contact entry for me, it wouldn't work. It just gave me an error about how it couldn't complete the last action.

Finally, I found a post where someone said it was a problem with permissions on Vista, and that the directions in the link above work for XP. My other computer has XP, so I tried it there. Lo and behold, it worked the first time. I was excited. That worked for me as long as I could share it with the desktop. So I went to Share Database from the BCM menu. And was promptly told that I could not share the database from Windows XP Home Edition. I had forgotten it was Home Edition. I briefly looked into upgrading to XP Pro.

Then I had a flash of insight. Since it was working for local access on the XP, I performed a backup of the database. Then I restored the database on the desktop. Success! Then I shared the database on the desktop with the username I use to login from my other computer. Then I went to the other computer and selected the shared database.

It only took the better part of 4 days.

No comments: