Thursday, July 16, 2009

Computer Crash


My 18 month old HP Pavillion dv9500 died on Monday. I came back to the office and the screensaver looked like this. I could access the ctrl-alt-delete menu, but when I tried to launch Task Manager or to reboot, it just returned to this screen, with maybe another black rectangle somewhere. I have not been able to boot up since. Not even in safe mode. Check disk reported error #10009 and said Replace disk. Eventually, we couldn't even get into the BIOS so something is seriously wrong

Thom, acting as my IT manager has been up late several nights investigating. He thinks I have a video problem, as well as a hard disk problem. Or it could be the mother board. If it is the mother board, repairing it could be 1/2 as much as buying a comparable new Sony Vaio. This is my first HP and I'm not planning to buy another. The built in video camera hasn't worked in at least 8 months and many hours trying to trouble-shoot that were wasted.

In the meantime, I've been trying to get up and running on my Dell desktop that I bought last year for testing. Fortunately I had checked all my source code into source control before the computer crashed. And we have a USB 2.0 to IDE cable that we were able to use to hook up the 2 hard drives from the HP to the Dell. The data is all there, so I didn't lose anything, other than all my time in dealing with the crashed laptop.

No comments: