Monday, April 21, 2008

Error code 2869

I was about to release my second free product last week when a new version of the 3rd party application my product runs on came out. So I am in the process of creating a new install for the new version of that application. I am planning to release two versions of my product, one compatible with the older version of the 3rd party application, and one compatible withe the brand new version.

So I'm testing the installer today and I keep getting this error message:
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing the package. This may indicated a problem with this package. The error code is 2869.

It sounds vaguely familiar like I ran into this when I did the original install. I do a google search and see that it is related to running installers on Windows Vista. That figures. When I got my new laptop, choices for new laptops running Windows XP were limited, so I got a Windows 64-bit Vista operating system. Maybe someday when the software programs I use take advantage of the 64-bit-ness, I will appreciate it, but mostly it just seems to cause me problems like this. The install ran fine the first time I ran it on my old Windows XP machine.

Misha Shneerson's article makes me think the problem has to do with the custom action I'm calling during the installation to edit an INI file. But I don't know what to do about that. Then I found Paulo Reichert's blog where a user's comment suggests calling msiexec /a "path-to-package.msi", which runs the setup program as an Administrator, and that solves the problem. But I hate for my users to have to go to that trouble. Hopefully they have Windows XP.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you get this to work?

Bill C said...

Hey, thank you very much for the tip regarding "msiexec /a "path-to-package.msi"". Running it that way solved the problem I was having. Thanks so much.

Jorge said...

Thank you very much. That solved my problem as well.